Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Learning Hebrew

Ma Kore!

I've taken a Hebrew language class last semester, which I rather enjoyed, but didn't get out of it all what I had hoped. Sure, I've learned the alphabet, a lot of phrases, and a song here and there, I just wish the class had a more systematic approach to teaching us (the instructors jump around alot). That said, I'm grateful for what I've learned, and am continuing to learn.

What's been equally as great about being in the class is the comraderie I have with the Jewesses in the class. Truth be told, I wondered how they would accept me, being one of two "shiksas" in the group; but over time, after understanding my heart and my intent behind learning the language, they've loosened up, and have actually enjoyed my questions, my enthusiam for the language, and the speed with which I was learning. I've actually won one of the more suspicious girls in the class after she found out that I read the "Jerusalem Post", and kept abreast of what's going on in Israel (don't ask me why I read it, I'm just drawn to it for some odd reason...).

This semester, I've decided to hire a tutor to fill in the blanks; the areas not being covered in class. He's a cantor at the local synagogue whose local clientele consists of children needing to go over their prayers, among other things, in preparation for their bar/bat mitzvah. He seemed suspicious about why someone like me would be interested in learning Hebrew. After explaining it to him, he seemed to lower the wall he's put up between him and me. Well, at least, a couple of brinks, anyway.

Last week was my first lesson with Michael. I was taken aback when he neither opened the screen door for me, nor extended a hand to shake in greeting. Is that a cultural thing? Or is he just rude? *shrugging shoulders*

Anyway, I've been enjoying his explanations about the liguistic patterns of Hebrew, its origins, and other interesting aspects about the language he freely shares. I appreciate this, as I've always known that there is more to a language than just phonics, words, sentences (Americans in general see nothing beyond this when learning a language. They are often too arrogant to care about its people and what's important to them, a reason why they remain monolingual). Understanding the language as taught by the person connected to it by way of birth, culture, etc. brings a full understanding of the intent behind what is being said, and I would rather get that knowledge first hand, than from some WASP-ish instructor at a "bible college".

I'm pretty excited about getting the help I need. I'm on my way to my ultimate goal - to be able to read the Tanakh in Hebrew.

"You should also learn modern Hebrew, and take a trip to Israel someday." Michael tells me.

I know, but first things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment